A stabbing attack has claimed the lives of at least six people in Sydney, Australia, after a man went on a stabbing rampage Saturday.

According to Breitbart News, the suspect —who was armed with a knife— stabbed several people at a shopping mall in Bondi Junction, Sydney at around 4 pm local time. Assistant Commissioner Anthony Cooke revealed that a female police officer shot the attacker dead, ending his brutal attack in the process.

“She confronted the offender who had moved by this stage to level five,” Cooke said. “As she continued to walk quickly behind him to catch up with him, he turned, faced her, raised a knife. She discharged a firearm and that person is now deceased.”

With Australian authorities yet to release the suspect’s identity, Cooke revealed that the attacker acted alone.

“From preliminary inquiries, it would appear that this person has acted alone,” Assistant Commissioner Anthony Cooke said. “I am content that there is no continuing threat.”

The incident has left the nation in shock after reports emerged that the suspect also stabbed a nine-month-old baby. The infant’s 38-year-old mother was one of the six victims who have died so far.

Two men who rushed to the mother and infant’s aid after the stabbing said they were trying to compress the baby’s wounds, including using shirts from the shop.

“He wasn’t going for anyone personally. You could tell it looked quite random, he was just running around with his knife,” one witness said, per The Sydney Morning Herald. “We had also seen people with bollards, I think, who were going to chase him.”

NSW Police Commissioner Karen Webb confirmed that four other women and a man are among those who have been confirmed dead from the attack.

Webb, who identified the suspect as a 40-year-old man, revealed that the attacker was known to police. Webb, however, added that the suspect’s motive is still unknown. Webb echoed Cooke’s sentiment, stating that the suspect acted alone.

“There is no ongoing threat to the community,” Webb said.

Seven other people who the attacker stabbed are still undergoing treatment in the hospital.